Merits of Green Revolution
Compared to the traditional seeds, the HYV seeds promised to produce much greater amounts of grain on a single plant. As a result, the same piece of land would now produce far larger quantities of food grains than was possible earlier.
Demerits of Green Revolution:
- Poor farmers could not afford HYV seeds, fertilizers and machinery.
- Some borrowed and ended up with large debts
- HYV seeds need more water and fertilizer, which is expensive
- New machinery replaced manual labour leading to unemployment and rural-urban migration
- The Green Revolution was limited to rice and wheat only.