(Activity) Calculate how many years and months ahead from now Margie’s diary entry is.
Answer these questions in a few words or a couple of sentences each.
1. How old are Margie and Tommy?
2. What did Margie write in her diary?
3. Had Margie ever seen a book before?
4. What things about the book did she find strange?
5. What do you think a telebook is?
6. Where was Margie’s school? Did she have any classmates?
7. What subjects did Margie and Tommy learn?
Directions for activity: The answer is to be calculated by deducting the present date from the date of Margie's diary entry, i.e. 17 May 2157. If the present date is 17 June 2013, the answer will be 143 years and 11 months. Hence, for this particular date, the answer to this question will be as follows:
Margie's diary entry is 143 years and 11 months ahead from now.
1. Margie is eleven while Tommy is thirteen years old.
2. Margie wrote in her diary, “Today Tommy found a real book!”
3. No, Margie had never seen a book before.
4. Margie found it strange that the words printed on a book stood still instead of moving the way they did on a screen. She also found it odd that the words on a page always remained the same as the first time they were read. Besides, the idea that someone would write a book about schools was itself strange for Margie.
5. A telebook is a book that can be read on screen. Words move on the screen for the readers to read.
6. Margie’s school was in her home itself, right next to her bedroom.
No, she did not have any classmates.
7. Margie and Tommy learnt geography, history and arithmetic.