CAN YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN THE PARTS OF SPEECH BRIEFLY?
There are eight parts of speech. Words are categorized into different parts of speech according to the role they perform in a sentence.
1. An interjection is a word that expresses a sudden feeling or emotion.
2. A verb is a word that tells us about an action or the state of a person or thing.
3. An adjective is a word that describes or qualifies a noun or a pronoun.
4. A noun is a word that names a person, animal, place, thing, idea or quality.
5. A conjunction is a word that is used to join two words, phrases or sentences.
6. An adverb is a word that modifies the meaning of a verb, an adjective or other adverb.
7. A pronoun is a word that is used in place of a noun.
8. A Preposition is a word that is used before a noun or a pronoun to denote its relation with to another word or element.
Hope this helps!
Parts of Speech Table
This is a summary of the 8 parts of speech*. You can find more detail if you click on each part of speech.
|part of speech||function or "job"||example words||example sentences|
|Verb||action or state||(to) be, have, do, like, work, sing, can, must||EnglishClub.com is a web site. I like EnglishClub.com.|
|Noun||thing or person||pen, dog, work, music, town, London, teacher, John||This is my dog. He lives in my house. We live in London.|
|Adjective||describes a noun||a/an, the, 2, some, good, big, red, well, interesting||I have two dogs. My dogs are big. I like big dogs.|
|Adverb||describes a verb, adjective or adverb||quickly, silently, well, badly, very, really||My dog eats quickly. When he is very hungry, he eats really quickly.|
|Pronoun||replaces a noun||I, you, he, she, some||Tara is Indian. She is beautiful.|
|Preposition||links a noun to another word||to, at, after, on, but||We went to school on Monday.|
|Conjunction||joins clauses or sentences or words||and, but, when||I like dogs and I like cats. I like cats and dogs. I like dogs but I don't like cats.|
|Interjection||short exclamation, sometimes inserted into a sentence||oh!, ouch!, hi!, well||Ouch! That hurts! Hi! How are you? Well, I don't know.|
Follow the mentioned link for a comprehensive understanding of the parts of speech:
There are EIGHT parts of speech. They are as follows:-
1. Noun: a part of speech inflected for case, signifying a concrete or abstract entity
There are EIGHT parts of speech.
1--NOUN- a noun is the name of any thing person ,any place
2--PRONOUN-a pronoun is used in the place of the noun for example- he or she
3--VERB--a vrb is the doing of work
4--ADVERB-- an adverb is used in the place of a verb
5--ADJECTIVE-- sorry but i dont know this
6--PREPOSITION-- this is placed before other word in composition
7--CONJUNCTION-- it is the one which combines sentences like for example -and ,or ,in
8--INTERJECTION-- it is used for expressing emotion.
hope this helps you. and sorry that my answering is very late.