difference between complex and compound sentence
- There are two independent clauses in a compound sentence that are joined using a coordinator. The coordinator is a conjunction that can impact the meaning of the sentence.
- There are two or more clauses in a complex sentence with one essentially an independent clause while there can be one or more dependent clauses.
- Complex sentences are for reflecting relationships or conveying ideas.
- The dependent clause in a complex sentence contains both the subject as well as a verb but it still does not make complete sense.
- The main difference between a compound and complex sentence lies in the number of independent and dependent clauses. While there are at least two independent clauses in a compound sentence, there is only one independent clause in a complex sentence.
- While there is no dependent clause in a compound sentence, there is at least one dependent clause in a complex sentence.