differentiate between divergent evolution and convergent evolution.
please if you can then give in points.
- It is the cumulative process of natural selection which ultimately leads to the formation of new species from the same ancestral base.
- The example of divergent evolution is Darwin finches.
- There are now 80 varieties of finches have evolved from a single variety of finches.
- Both the wooly mammoth and the elephant originated from a common ancestor, but the common ancestor eventually diverged, and hence forth two new species were created in the process.
- They live in different ways than the common ancestor
- It is caused by migration or nearby extinction of a nearby environment. Example: Dinosaur.
- It is the process where some diverse organisms individually develop the traits which are similar in function.
- For example insects, birds, pterosaurs, and bats. All have developed the similar nature of the flight/wings.
- All four serve the same function and are similar in structure, but each evolved independently.
- When unrelated organisms evolve similarities when adapting to similar environments
they live in the relatively same way as each other.
- Rheas and ostriches are living in different parts of the world and these are closely similar, due to living in similar environments.