Discuss the relation between British and Mysore with reference to the four Mysore wars.
The relations between British and Mysore were always soaring and both were bitter enemies of each other.The relation of Mysore with French was good which was pinching the Britishers.Series of wars were fought ,in 1767-69 first Anglo-Mysore war took place in which Hyder Ali gind some success,in the second Anglo-Mysore war 1780-84 witnessed the bloodier battles,war of 1789-92 resulted into the heavy defeat of Mysore and the last battle in 1799 put an end to the glorious rule of Tipu with his death in the last war.
- Mysore emerged as a powerful state under the outstanding leadership of Haider Ali and his son Tipu Sultan.
- They both were not puppet rulers & were not under the control of British.
- Tipu Sultan stopped the export of Sandalwood, Pepper and Cardamom through the ports of his kingdom and prohibited local merchants from trading with the Company.
- Tipu established friendly relations with the french.
- The British & the Deccan states perceived Haider Ali and Tipu as a threat.
- This led to the four Anglo-Mysore wars.