explain different types of lipids
There are various types of lipids,
- Fats and oils : These are biomolecules containing carbon and hydrogen with few oxygen molecules. Based on the structure they are classified as saturated (solid at room temperature) and unsaturated (liquid at room temperature). These are used as energy reserves.
- Triglycerides : A complex of fatty acids with glycerol.
- Phospholipids: Phospholipids are complexes of lipids with phosphate group. These are the main structural components of the cell membrane.
- Steroids : These are more complicated in structure. These are known to perform various important functions in the body. Examples: steroid hormones, cholesterols.
1. fat acyl, of which fatty acids are a type. Fat acyls are the building blocks for more complex lipids.
2. Glycerolipids are also known as triglycerides, which make up most of the body's fats.
3.Other kinds of lipids include sterols, sphingolipids and certain fat-soluble vitamins.