EXPLAIN THE HORMONAL CONTROL OF OOGENESIS AND SPERMATOGENESIS ? [5 marks] [answer should be point wise]
The hormonal control of oogenesis and spermatogenesis are pointed out as follows;
- In female the FSH stimulates the growth and development of egg in the graafian follicle.
- The inhibin hormone produced by the follicle inhibits the production of FSH.
- The LH stimulates the induction of ovulation and production of oestrogen and progesterone.
- This rising level of progesterone inhibits the GnRH and there by inhibits FSH, LH and progesterone.
- The level of the testosterone is very low before puberty.
- It rises during puberty which produces the secondary sexual characters and stimulates the production of sperm.
- During the maturation of the sperm the Level of FSH rises.