Explain with diagram fluid mosaic model of plasma membrane???
The structure of plasma membrane was proposed by Singer and Nicolson in 1972. It is widely accepted as fluid mosaic model. According to this model-
- The cell membrane is composed of a lipid bilayer, where the polar head are towards the outer side, and hydrophobic tails are towards the inner side. So, the non-polar, hydrophobic tail is protected from aqueous environment.
- Proteins and carbohydrates are also present in the membrane.
- Membrane proteins could be integral (buried in the membrane) or peripheral (on the surface of the membrane).
- Fluid mosaic model shows the quasi-fluid nature of lipids enables lateral movement of proteins within the bilayer.
- Fluidity is the measure of the ability of the membrane to allow movement within itself.
- Fluid nature of the membrane is important for cell division, cell growth, the formation of intercellular junctions, secretion and endocytosis.