Give 5 examples of refraction of light in daily life.
2. A fish in pond or aquarium, actual position is different than what it looks.
3. Occurrence of mirage effect in deserts in summer.
4. Pencil partially dipped in glass filled with water seems to be bent at point of immersion.
5. We see sun before it actually come to horizon during sunrise and see it even after sunset.
6. paper weight having bubble inside looks bigger and moving with rotation.
7. Twinkling of star- light reaching to us has gone several refraction because of mediums.
8. looking through a transparent glass filled with water makes everything magnified.
9. similarly if you look through transparent ruler things with be magnified.
10. sparkling of diamond - refraction of light at each side
11. passing of light through fiber.- total internal refraction inside fiber
12. Tyndall effect on stream of water.- light follow the path of water
13. passing of light through prisms. -you will see spectrum
I hope it will be enough.
Reflection is everywhere
Reflection of lights from the objects gives us the opportunity to view things.
Basically, common notion follows that reflection happens with help of mirrors only. But it happens everywhere, the light bounces off the objects, comes into our eyes then only we are able to see objects.
1 A person stands in a pool up until their waist. Their legs appear shorter than normal. That's the simplest I could come up with :)
2 If you put a straw in a glass of water and look at it from the level of the water you will notice that the straw will look like it has been cut in half and moved slightly to the side (left or right).
3 Also a magnifying glass refracts light because it has to bend light to different angles to be able to focus to a point.
Rainbow: Sun light is refracted inside water droplets in the atmosphere giving dispersion and separation of colors;
2) Spectacles or Contact Lenses: light is refracted inside the material of the lens changing its path to help the eye to focus it;
Stony Brook Laser Teaching Center
3) Colors in oily puddles of water: Sun light is refracted inside the oily film on the surface of he water giving, through interference, the colored pattern;
XDA Forums - XDA Developers
4) Spoon or stick in water: refraction is responsible for the "broken" appearance of a spoon half immersed in a glass of water;
5) Optic Fiber or water: inside the fiber the light cannot be simply reflected because the intensity would decrease rapidly losing our original signal. Instead we use Total Internal Reflection where extreme condition for refraction are achieved so that the incident light doesn't enters the other medium (see Critical Angle).