Hi guys , what is Roughage?
Dietary fiber, dietary fibre or sometimes roughage is the indigestible portion of plant foods having two main components:
- soluble (viscous) fiber that is readily fermented in the colon into gases and physiologically active byproducts, and
- insoluble fiber that is metabolically inert, absorbing water as it moves through the digestive system , easing defecation
- They help prevent constipation by increasing the volume of stool in our body.Therefore,people who include a lot of dietary fibres in their diet suffer from fewer problems of constipation.
- They help in retaining water in the body.
- They help in getting rid of undigested food.
@Rajat: It's a great answer that you have provided! Keep up the good effort! You deserve a for nice answer.
Roughage is a general term used to identify a carbohydrate contained in many different types of foods. Sometimes referred to simply as dietary fiber, roughage is understood to be an essential part of any healthy diet plan. The main function of roughage is to add bulk to the daily diet, which in turn aids in the digestion process and healthy function of the bowel system.