how to find valency of an element?
- Valency of element is the no. of electron participating in chemical combination.
- Actually it is the valence shell which is involved in chemical combination.
- Therefore if electron present in valence shell is less than 3 than valency is directly equal to number of electron in valence shell.
- If electrons present in valence shell are greater than three than 8- no. of valence electrons.
- To find electrons in valence shell one should know atomic number. For eg for Al electronic configuration is 2,8,3 as atomic number is 13. Thus valency is 3 as valence shell electron equals to three. N electronic configuration 2,8,5 valency = 8-5 = 3.