how to make a periscope??
What you need:
- 2 mirrors (approx. 2" by 1", but other sizes work well too)
- a piece of carton (approx. 6 1/2" wide, 8" long. Or roughly 3 times the width of your mirrors and 4 times the height)
- Some paint to give it a nice spy look!
How to make the periscope:
- Draw the lines on your carton as you see them on the plans. Note that there are dashed lines, these are fold lines, don't cut through those. The full lines are cut lines, use scissors to cut through those.
- Paste your mirrors on the spots where it says "mirrors".
- Fold the carton into a box. One mirror is looking up, the other one is looking down. Paste it so it stays box shaped.
- Fold the mirrors in so they are roughly in an angle of 45 degrees. Then fold the side flaps in and paste it to the back of the flap. Both sides!
- You have a working periscope now! Look through the lower mirror, and you can see much higher... over a wall, for instance. Or around a corner!
- Now give it that tough spy look by giving your new apparatus a couple of coats of paint. Think how it should look to blend in with the background. Green and brown is nice for the bushes, bad for the snow!
two mirrors parallel to each other but at 45 degrees to the axis of a tube connecting them. Cut entry and exit holes in the tube to be able to see through.
Periscopes allow you to see something that is not in direct sight but is around a corner, out of sight. It's easy to make a quick periscope at home, for fun.