HOW TO MAKE A PERISCOPE
Please refer the following URL for the answer.
Use the knife to cut around the top of each milk carton, removing the peaked "roof."
Put the carton on its side and turn it so the hole you just cut is facing to your right. On the side that's facing up, measure 2 3/4 inches up the left edge of the carton, and use the pencil to make a mark there. Now, use your ruler to draw a diagonal line from the bottom right corner to the mark you made.
Hold the carton up to your eye and look through the hole that you cut. You should see your ceiling through the top of the carton. If what you see looks tilted, adjust the mirror and tape it again.
Repeat steps 2 through 6 with the second milk carton.
Starting at the bottom right corner, cut on that line. Don't cut all the way to the left edge of the carton-just make the cut as long as one side of your mirror. If your mirror is thick, widen the cut to fit.
|Stand one carton up on a table, with the hole facing you. Place the other carton upside-down, with the mirror on the top and the hole facing away from you.|
Use your hand to pinch the open end of the upside-down carton just enough for it to slide into the other carton. Tape the two cartons together
What you need:
- 2 mirrors (approx. 2" by 1", but other sizes work well too)
- a piece of carton (approx. 6 1/2" wide, 8" long. Or roughly 3 times the width of your mirrors and 4 times the height)
- Some paint to give it a nice spy look!
How to make the periscope:
- Draw the lines on your carton as you see them on the plans. Note that there are dashed lines, these are fold lines, don't cut through those. The full lines are cut lines, use scissors to cut through those.
- Paste your mirrors on the spots where it says "mirrors".
- Fold the carton into a box. One mirror is looking up, the other one is looking down. Paste it so it stays box shaped.
- Fold the mirrors in so they are roughly in an angle of 45 degrees. Then fold the side flaps in and paste it to the back of the flap. Both sides!
- You have a working periscope now! Look through the lower mirror, and you can see much higher... over a wall, for instance. Or around a corner!
- Now give it that tough spy look by giving your new apparatus a couple of coats of paint. Think how it should look to blend in with the background. Green and brown is nice for the bushes, bad for the snow!
Periscopes allow you to see something that is not in direct sight but is around a corner, out of sight. It 's easy to make a quick periscope at home, for fun.
- 1Assemble the items needed. These are listed below. If using a milk container, wash the milk carton or container thoroughly, or else it will smell.Assemble the items needed.
Promotional Tote BagsFind Great Styles at Low Prices. Get a custom quote today!
- 2Cut off the slanted tops of each carton or the edges of the cardboard box using scissors.Cut off the slanted tops of each carton or the edges of the cardboard box using scissors.
- 3Trace around the mirrors near the bottom of two opposite end sides of the carton or box. Cut out the two traced around sections on three sides to make a "door" or "window" view-hole.Trace around the mirrors near the bottom of two opposite end sides of the carton or box.
- 4Place the mirrors at an angle (slanted) inside the carton or box, each situated opposite to the side of each view-hole. Tape the mirrors into place but not too tightly as you 're about to adjust them until they sit correctly.Try to make the Angle 45 degrees, because this is the original way.Place the mirrors at an angle (slanted) inside the carton or box, each situated opposite to the side of each view-hole.
- 5Adjust the mirrors. Keep moving them into place until you can see out of the top hold when you look in through the bottom hole.Adjust the mirrors.
- 6Use a hot glue gun to glue the mirrors into the exact position. Place the glue along the edges and stick into place.Use a hot glue gun to glue the mirrors into the exact position.
- 7Place a lid over the carton or box. Seal it in place with masking tape or other tape. Paint to decorate if wished. It 's now ready for use.Place a lid over the carton or box.