justify the statement male honey bee has no father but has grondson
- Yes! A male honey bee has no father and cannot have sons, but he has a grandfather and can have grandsons. It is the peculiarity of the haplo diploid sex-determination system.
- In this system,the males develop from unfertilized eggs and are haploid, and females develop from fertilized eggs and are diploid.
- So, the male honeybee was created from an unfertilized egg of the queen bee, so it has a mother only and no father.
- However sperm was used to create its mother, so the male honeybee has a grandfather.
- And if the male honeybee's sperm is used to create the next queen, then the unfertilized eggs that she lays will become his grandsons.