Please explain experts....
Ans. Only A, B and E
The polarity and molecular weight of solutes do not really affect the rate of osmosis since in osmosis the movement of solvent takes place. The same has been explained in detail below:
Osmosis is a type of diffusion. Osmosis is the phenomenon when the two solutions having different osmotic concentration are separated by a semi- permeable membrane and the movement of solvent takes place from a region of low concentration of the solute to a region where there is high concentration of the solute or from a region where there is high concentration of solvent to a region where there is low concentration of solvent.
Factors Affecting the Rate of Osmosis
- Temperature - higher the temperature, the faster the movement of water molecules across the semi permeable membrane.
- Surface Area - larger the surface area, the more space for the molecules to move easily across. Smaller the area, the more restricted the movements of the molecules and the slower the movement.
- Difference in Water Potential – Higher the difference in water potential, the faster the osmosis. For the lesser water molecules are in the region of low concentration, more water molecules from the region of higher concentration can enter faster and easier.P
- Pressure – More the pressure, the faster the molecules will move for they are being pushed faster across a low concentration.
- Concentration gradient - Lower the concentration of the solute within a solvent, the faster osmosis will occur in that solvent.
- Light and dark – Brighter the light, the faster osmosis takes place.
- Aquaporins are the small proteins that form pores in the outer membranes of the plastids, mitochondria and some bacteria allowing molecules up to the size of small proteins to pass through. Water channels contain different types of aquaporins. Aquaporins allow in & out movement of water molecules & prevent the entry of other ions inside the membrane. The different porins present in the water channel have different pore size as a result they have affinity for different molecules.