s Give the general characteristics of algae with two examples
General characteristics of algae:
- Algae are chlorophyll-bearing, simple, thalloid, autotrophic and largely aquatic (both freshwater and marine) organisms.
- They occur in a variety of other habitats: moist stones, soils and wood.
- The form and size of algae are highly variable.
- The algae reproduce by vegetative, asexual and sexual methods.
- At least half of the total carbon dioxide fixation on earth is carried out by algae through photosynthesis.