The folowing experiment was performed in order to determine the formula of a hydrocarbon. The hydrocarbon X is purified by fractional distillation.
0.145 g of X were heated with dry copper(II) oxide and 224 cm3 of crbon dioxide was collected at STP.
- Which element does X contain?
- What was the purpose of copper(II) oxide?
- Calculate the emperical formula of X by the following steps:
- Calculate the number of moles of carbon dioxide gas.
- Calculate the mass of carbon contained in the quantity of carbon dioxide and thus the mass of carbon in sample X.
- Calculate the mas of hydrogen in sample X.
- Deduce the ratio of atoms of each element in X(emperical formula).