These are questions from the topic FUNDAMENTAL UNIT OF LIFE. Please answer -
1] What is a cell membrane?
2] What is the meaning of the term 'selectively permeable'?
3] What is osmosis?
4] What is diffusion.
5] How is glucose converted into energy inside the cells?
6] What actually is respiration?
7] How does substances like carbon - di - oxide and oxygen enter and exit a cell?
8] Where is the concentration of CO2 more? Inside a cell or outside a cell? Why?
9] Where is the concentration of oxygen more? Inside or outside a cell? Why?
10] What is meant by a solvent?
11] What is meant by a solution? What are the substances present in it?
12] Can glucose dissolve in blood?
13] What is a hypotonic solution?
14] What is an isotonic solution/
15] What is a hypertonic solution?
1. The cell membrane or plasma membrane is a biological membrane that separates the interior of all cells from the outside environment.
2. A semipermeable membrane, also termed a selectively permeable membrane, apartially permeable membrane or a differentially permeable membrane, is a membrane that will allow certain molecules or ions to pass through it by diffusion and occasionally specialized "facilitated diffusion".
3. Osmosis is the net movement of solvent molecules through a partially permeable membrane into a region of higher solute concentration, in order to equalize the solute concentrations on the two sides.
4. Diffusion describes the spread of particles through random motion from regions of higher concentration to regions of lower concentration.
5.aerbic or anaerobic respiration.
6. the physiological process that enables animals to exchange carbon dioxide, the primary product of cellular respiration, for fresh air
7. Simple diffusion. Oxygen and carbon dioxide can both go directly through the lipid bilayer.
8. the amount of carbon dioxide fluid is greater outside the cell then the carbon dioxide will diffuse in so that the amount of carbon dioxide inside and outside of the cell will be an equillibrium. it is more outdide due to respiration.
9. same as co2
11. n chemistry, a solution is a homogeneous mixture composed of only one phase. In such a mixture, a solute is a substance dissolved in another substance, known as a solvent . Thesolvent does the dissolving. The solution more or less takes on the characteristics of the solvent including its phase, and the solvent is commonly the major fraction of the mixture.
13. its sol. which has lower osmotic pressure than any other sol.
14. its effective osmole concentration is the same as solute concentration of another. sol. with which its compared.
15. it has larger concentration of substance on the outside of a cell than is found within the cells themselves.
Answers to all your questions are easily available in our study material chapter- 5, kindly go through it and try to answer yourself. If you don't understand any concept, do get back to us.
This conversation is already closed by Expert
Well, I m sure someone will answer your questions but seriously you need to open textbook and read, it's all there.
thanx krishnan and raman .
Thanks a lot, Divya! mOST OF YOUR ANSWERS WERE UPTO THE MARK, EXCEPT FOR 3 OR 4 OF THEM.
You have done a fabulous attempt and have succeeded in it about 85 percentage.
Here is a thumbs - up for you by me!
raman mein hamesha tepti hoon . tujhe pata hai.
hey kahan se tepa hai tune divya
sorry just joking
nice and good answer
thumbs up for u