what are the applications of Henry's law?
(i) Bottles are sealed under high pressure to increase the solubility of CO2 in soft drinks and soda water.
(ii) Henry’s law states that the solubility of gas increases with an increase in pressure. Therefore, when a scuba diver dives into the sea, the increased sea pressure causes the nitrogen present in air to dissolve in his blood in great amounts. As a result, when he comes back to the surface, the solubility of nitrogen again decreases and the dissolved gas is released, leading to the formation of nitrogen bubbles in the blood. This results in the blockage of capillaries and leads to a medical condition known as ‘bends’, which are painful and dangerous to life. Hence, the oxygen tanks used by scuba divers are filled with air and diluted with helium to avoid bends.
(iii) The concentration of oxygen is low in the blood and tissues of climbers or people living at high altitudes. This is because at high altitudes, the partial pressure of oxygen is less than that at ground level. Low blood oxygen causes climbers to become weak and prevents them from thinking clearly. These are symptoms of ‘anoxia’.
- In manufacture of aerated drinks(for increasing solubility of CO2)
- to overcome the disease bends which are painful and dangerous to life scuba divers carry oxygen cylinders with them.
- to overcome anoxia a disease which results in low blood oxygen due to which climbers or people living at higher altitudes are unable to think clearly.
- they are used in soft drinks were these CO2 gas is compressed and dissolved in a given pressure and wen u open it the partial pressure of co2 in liquid comes ro atmosphere
- they r u used in scuba diver were the oxgen and helium is filled were the partial pressure of oxygen decresses while we move more 160 ft depth.
- prevent of anoxia i.e while moving towards higher altitude the pressure is low and the partial pressure oxygen is low so the blood flow is not proper to brain so wen this happens we will not be able to think so the carry oxygen cylinders to increase the partial pressure