What are the functions of SER, RER, Golgi apparatus, lysosomes, mitochondria, plastids and vacuoles
Please find below the solution to the asked query
Functions of Smooth endoplasmic reticulum (SER) :
- Smooth ER is not associated with ribosomes, it synthesis fats and lipids.
- It takes part in the metabolism of carbohydrates.
- It actively participates in drug detoxification.
- It maintains the calcium ion concentration in the cytosol.
Functions of Rough endoplasmic reticulum (RER) :
- Rough ER associated with nuclear membrane.
- Its main function is proteins synthesis.
- Most of the lysosomal proteins are produced in the rough ER.
- It transports proteins to various destinations like the plasma membrane.
- This is the major site of glycosylation (addition of carbohydrates in proteins).
Functions of golgi apparatus are:
It involves the transport of lipids in cells.
It involves the formation of lysosomes.
It also takes part in glycosylation and phosphorylation of certain proteins.
Functions of lysosomes:
They digest macromolecules by phagocytosis, endocytosis, or autophagy
They also take part in auto-cell lysis.