What are the methods of reducing friction? Explain .
Friction is reduced by adopting the following methods -
- By polishing the suffaces
- By applying oil or grease on the surfaces ( or by lubrication)
- By sprinkling a soft, slippery fine powder on the surfaces as we do on our carrom board.
- By using wheels, ball-bearings or roller-bearings in machines.
- By streamlining the body of an object like those of aeroplanes, rockets, ships, etc. Birds and fish also have streamlined bodies.
METHODS OF REDUCING FRICTION
There are a number of methods to reduce friction in which some are discussed here.
USE OF LUBRICANTS:
The parts of machines which are moving over one another must be properly lubricated by using oils and lubricants of suitable viscosity.
USE OF GREASE:
Proper greasing between the sliding parts of machine reduces the friction.
USE OF BALL BEARING:
In machines where possible, sliding friction can be replaced by rolling friction by using ball bearings.
Friction can be reduced by changing the design of fast moving objects. The front of vehicles and airplanes made oblong to minimize friction.
I hope it will help u.