what are the rules while transforming news headlines?
plz tell :( tomoorow is exam
Sentence transformation is done either by changing the form of narration (reported or direct speech) or by changing the voice of the given sentence. In such questions, either a dialogue, a public message or a newspaper headline is given as a clue, followed by a sentence or more with blank/s. The clues help in filling up the blanks. Such questions test a student’s understanding and ability to use language correctly. One should remember to retain the original (intended) meaning or context given by the clues.
GRAMMAR CONCEPTS REQUIRED
Before answering such questions, a student should be thorough with certain rules and concepts in grammar. Some of the important ones are indicated below:
1. Rules for narration (direct/ indirect speech)
2. Rules to change time, place, verb forms and pronouns, while transforming narration
3. Rules for changing voices
4. Subject-verb agreement rules
5. Correct use of prepositions and conjunctions
6. Rules for using articles and determiners
STEPS TO BE FOLLOWED
To answer questions based on transformation, a student may follow the steps given below:
1. Read the newspaper headline, public message or the dialogue given, ignoring the blank/s.
2. Get working with the individual sentences having blank/s. Analyse each blank in the context of what follows and/or what precedes it, to get clues. Find the tense and voice being used.
3. Consider possible word(s)/phrase that would fill the blank suitably. Think of your answer in consistence with not only the context but also rules for subject-verb concord, pronoun-antecedent consistency, voice, narration, tenses etc.
4. Repeat the steps 2 and 3, till all the blanks have been filled.
hope now u get the ans