what is a verb
@Vikaas, your friend Anamika has very well answered your query. I would like to elaborate the concept further with the help of a few examples:
A verb is a part of speech which conveys an action or a state of being. It is the most important aspect to frame a meaningful sentence. It asserts something about the subject of the sentence. Here are a few examples for you to understand better:
- Please add two spoons of sugar in my tea;
- Do not allow him to watch television for more than 2 hours;
- The thief escaped the prison last night;
- The sweeper gathered all the dry leaves;
- The child could well imagine the sunset;
- He could not promise his son anything;
- They stayed in that mansion for 5 years;
- We were talking when the phone rang.
The words in bold describe verbs or action words.
You can also view the study material on our website for further clarification.
@Anamika, nice attempt to help your fellow student.