what is an noun
A noun is a word that represents or names a person, animal, place, thing, idea or a quality.
NOUN:-A noun is defined as the name of a person, place or thing. For this process of naming, we must make use of many different noun types in order to abide by the rules of English grammar. There are seven different types of nouns in the English language that we use to convey the meaning of a name.
7 KINDS OF NOUN ARE:-
1. proper noun:-is the name of a particular person, place or thing, such as Ram, Karachi, River Indus etc. All proper nouns start with a capital letter.
2. common noun:-are the names of things in general, such as cat, dog, road, city, skirt, colour etc.
3. compound noun:-Compound nouns are nouns that consist of two or more words combined. Some compound nouns are hyphenated (jack-in-the-box); others consist of separate words (board of trustees); and some compound nouns are two or more words combined without a hyphen.
4. collective noun:-is the name given to a group of things, for example a flock of birds or a herd of cows.
5. abstract noun:-is something you can 't see, hear, touch or taste. These can be emotions (happiness, grief) or states (peace, quiet) etc.
6.count noun:-Count nouns are nouns that may be counted in numbers; for example, two eggs, three trucks, four birds. To express plurality, we may add an "s" to the end of the word; in some cases we must add "es": bushes, rushes, brushes.
7. mass noun:-Mass nouns, also called non-count nouns, are nouns that may not be counted, such as milk, water and sunlight. These nouns may be quantified by certain constants (jar of milk, rays of sunlight), but we may not number them in the standard plural fashion (three milks, two sunlights).
A noun is the name of a person, place, thing or idea.
(Ram is the name of a person.)
He lives inKanpur.
(Kanpur is the name of a place.)
He likesice cream.
(Ice cream is the name of a thing.)
He thinkshonestyis the bestpolicy.
(Honesty and policy are the names of ideas.)