What is Drug abuse?
Here is the answer to your question,
Causes of alcohol/ Drug Abuse
- Alcohol / drug abuse normally starts in adolescence (period between 12-18 yrs − transition phase between childhood and adulthood).
- Many adolescents are motivated towards drugs/ alcohol due to curiosity and experimentation.
- Peer pressure, academic stress, unstable family structure further incline youth towards alcohol/ drug abuse.
- Perception of consuming alcohol / drug being cool and progressive and use of alcohol/drug in television, movies, etc. further promote this habit.
Alcohol/ Drug Addiction
- When a person uses alcohol/ drug repeatedly, he becomes addicted.
- Addiction refers to psychological attachment to certain effects such as euphoria and temporary feeling of well-being associated with use of alcohol or drugs.
- In addiction, tolerance level of receptors present in our body increases towards the drug.
- This drives the person to use them even when they are not required or when they tend to harm his health / family life.
- Subsequently, the user runs into a vicious circle of addiction and subsequent dependence.
- Dependence leads to manifestation of withdrawal syndrome on discontinuation of use.
- Withdrawal syndrome − Anxiety, nausea, sweating, shakiness, and sometimes may be lethal
Hope you have got the answer,