What is function of ethylene.
Ethylene is synthesized in ripening fruits, fruits, flowers, leaves and even roots and acts as a natural plant growth hormone.
Physiological effects of Ethylene:
- It shows inhibitory effect on growth.
- Ehylene is responsible for positive geotrophic bending of roots
- It inhibits growth of lateral buds
- It stimulates fruit growth and ripening
- It stimulates abscission (formation of separation layer)
- Ethylene induces flowering
- It stimulates rooting
- It is responsible for breaking of dormancy of seeds and buds
- It promotes yellowing of leaves
- It helps to determine the sex of monoecious flowers.
- It controls leaf bending.
- Ethylene release inhibits auxin synthesis and transport.