what is meant by subsidiary alliance?which states were annexed under this system?
Answer to your question is as follows :
Marquess Wellesley introduced the practice of Subsidiary Alliance in the year 1798. The British signed the alliance with the native Indian states . It was a policy to keep the dominant states under the servitude of the British. The main principles of this alliance are as follows:
- A British contingent would be posted in the native stae and the Indian ruler had to make payments for their maintenance.
- A British reident would also be posted.
- The strategic decisions of the Indian ruler would require the approval of the Resident.
- Only British and no other Europeans could be employed by the Indian ruler.
- The British would be responsible for teh protection of the state from all internal and external dangers.
- If the Indian ruler failed to make the payments, a part of the terrirtorry would be snatched by the British.
The states annexed by this system are as follows:
1798 - Hyderabad first signed
1799 - Mysore
1799 - Tanjore
1801 - Awadh
1802 - Peshwa
1803 - Scindia
1803 - Gaekwad