WHAT IS PEDIGREE ANALYSIS? DO YOU SUGGEST HOW THIS ANALYSIS IS USEFUL
Here is the answer to your querry
- Pedigree analysis is the analysis of inheritance of traits in several generations of a family.
- A particular trait under study is represented in a family tree.
- By using pedigree analysis, inheritance of a specific trait, abnormality or disease, can be traced.
- DNA is believed to be the carrier of genetic information, which passes unaltered from generation to generation. Mutations occasionally alter the genetic material and genetic diseases are believed to be associated with these alterations only.
- Standard symbols in pedigree analysis are as follows:
- Pedigree chart is represented as follows:
Chart (a) represents inheritance of an autosomal dominant trait as in muscular dystrophy.
Chart (b) represents inheritance of an autosomal recessive trait as in sickle cell anaemia.
Hope this will help,
All the best!!