what is the difference between combination reaction and decomposition reaction?give one example of each
In a combination reaction two or more simple substances combine to form a more complex substance. Two or more reactants yielding one product is another way to identify a combination reaction.
For example, simple hydrogen gas combined with simple oxygen gas can produce a more complex substance-----water!
The chemical equation for this combination reaction looks like:
reactant + reactant -------> product
EXAMPLE: 2H2(g) + O2(g) → 2H2O(l)
In a decomposition reaction a more complex substance breaks down into its more simple parts. One reactant yields 2 or more products. Basically, combination and decomposition reactions are opposites.
For example, water can be broken down into hydrogen gas and oxygen gas. The chemical equation for this decomposition reaction looks like:
reactant -------> product + product
EXAMPLE: 2FeSO4(s) → Heat Fe2O3(s) + SO2(g) + SO3(g)
- COMBINATION REACTION- A reaction in which two or more reactants combine together to form one single product is called COMBINATION REACTION .
- it mostly is exothermic in nature i.e. it releases heat along with the formation of products.
- It can be written as -- A+B------> AB
- It is opposite to decomposition reaction
- There is only one product formed and there are two or more than two products formed
- Cao+2H2O ----->Ca(OH)2
- Ba+F2 -------->BaF2
- DECOMPOSITION REACTION-- In this reaction a single reactant breaks down to give simpler compounds.
- It is a reaction in which compounds break down or decompose.
- In this reaction there is always one reactant and two or more products
- it is the opposite of combination reaction.
- It can be written in the form--AB---->A+B
- There are three types of decomposition reaction---
- THERMAL DECOMPOSITION REACTION-- When carried out by Heat .
- PHOTOLYSIS- When carried out by light eg.sun
- ELECTROLYSIS -When carried out by electricity
- EXAMPLES OF DECOMPOSITION REACTIONS
- 2Pb(NO)3------>2PbO+4NO2+O2 (THERMAL DECOMPOSITION REACTION)
- 2AgBr--------->2Ag+Br2 (PHOTOLYSIS DECOMPOSITION REACTION)
- CaCO3------------->CaO+CO2 (THERMAL DECOMPOSITION REACTION)
- 2HgO----->2Hg+O2 ( THERMAL DECOMPOSITION REACTION)
- 2H2O----->2H2 +O2 (ELECTROLYSIS DECOMPOSITION REACTION)
HOPE IT HELPS:)
- COMBINATION REACTION -: Those reaction in which two elements chemically combine together to form a new substance. This reaction is known as COMBINATION Reaction.
MgO + CO2 = MgCO3