What is the function of cell membrane in animal cell and plant cell?
Cell membrane or plasma membrane is the outer most covering of the cell that separates the contents of the cell from its external environment. It is present in both animal and plant cells.
Functions of cell membrane:
- It gives definite shape to the cell.
- It is selectively permeable membrane.
- It separates the contents of cell from its surrounding medium.
- It regulates the movement of ions in an out of the cell.
- It provides mechanical barrier for the protection of the internal contents of the cell.