why is the arithmetic mean the most commonly used of central tendency?
Arithmetic mean is the most commonly used measure of central tendency because of its following merits.
- It is simple and easy to calculate
- It is based on the values of all the observations in the series
- It is free from personal value
- Unlike median and mode which are positional average, mean is a mathematical average
- It is stable in the sense that it is least affected by fluctuations in the statistical series
- It can be used for the purpose of comparison of two or more series