- Will the colour of litmus papers, China rose solution and termeric paste change, when we put sugar solution, common salt solution, magnesium hydroxide and amonium hydroxide on them?
- What is amonium? What are its properties? What is its chemical reaction?
- Is sugar solution acidic or basic?
1. Sugar solution and common salt solution being neutral substances does not have any effect on the litmus papers (red and blue), China rose solution and turmeric paste.
Magnesium hydroxide and ammonium hydroxide are basic solutions.
These solutions turn red litmus paper blue and have no effect on blue litmus paper.
When China rose solution is added to magnesium hydroxide and ammonium hydroxide solutions, the indicator colour changes to green.
When turmeric paste is added to magnesium hydroxide and ammonium hydroxide solutions, the indicator colour changes to red.
2. Ammonium is derived from ammonia. Ammonium exist in the form of salts like: ammonium chloride, ammonium hydroxide etc.
Properties of ammonium salts:
· They are generally basic in nature.
· They dissolve in water with absorption of heat.
· Ammonium chloride + heat → Ammonia + Hydrogen chloride
3. Sugar solution is neutral in nature.