A career in Hotel Management has wide employment opportunities and is very rewarding. Moreover, with the onset of globalization, the hotel management industry today provides immense scope of making a career abroad as well.
The diversity of work avenues in hotel management is huge and involves a combination of various skills like management, food and beverage services, housekeeping, front office operation etc.
- Food and Beverage services - The growth in the hospitality industry has given rise to a growing demand for professional chefs. As a chef, one not only gets the opportunity to spice up palatable dishes, but also make a fortune by way of it. Professional chefs may find jobs in hotels, restaurants, air catering, food processing companies, confectioneries, cruise ships etc.
- Front Office - The front desk job is of critical importance in a company. Generally, a front-desk employee is the first person clients interact with and thus, the initial impression of a company that is formed largely depends on him/her. Front-desk job descriptions can vary depending on the industry. In general, all front office executives have to welcome and assist customers and clientèle. For this, they are required to have excellent communication skills, a pleasant personality and should love interacting with people.
- Housekeeping - The work involves the upkeep of a hotel and make the premises presentable to the guests. A housekeeping supervisor also ensures that the facilities are tidy and the expectations of the guests in terms of hygiene and service are met.
- General Operations - An Operations Manager coordinates, directs and manages the staff and everyday hotel operations to achieve profitability, guest satisfaction and efficiency while maintaining standards set by the company.
- Catering- Catering professionals work for clients who are hosting events, such as conferences, weddings and banquets. A caterer often works with clients to establish menus and pricing for the event and is then responsible for cooking and serving that food at the event.
There are many different industries where hotel management graduates can get an opportunity to work in. Some of them are:
- Hotels and restaurants
- Airline catering and cabin services
- Cruise ships
- Hospitals (administration)
- Institutional Management
- Catering services
A person aspiring to get into the field of Hotel Management can go for the following degree courses-
- After class 12th,one can opt for a B.Sc. (BHM)- Bachelor of Hotel Management which is of 3 years duration. These courses are conducted by various government and privately managed institutions as well as by institutions operated by a chain of hotels.
- After graduation, one can opt for a Post-graduate Diploma or an M.Sc., both of which are of around 2 years duration.
- One can also go for a Diploma in Hotel Management right after class 10th.
- OCLD, New Delhi
- IHM - Mumbai, Delhi, Aurangabad, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai, Kolkata, Ahmedabad
- Welcomgroup School of Hotel Administration, Manipal
- National Council for Hotel Management & Catering Technology, Delhi
- Oriental School of Hotel Management, Kerala
- Pleasing personality
- Strong communication skills
- Strong reasoning skills
- High numerical aptitude
- Patience in terms of career progress
NCHMCT (National Council for Hotel Management & Catering Technology)
The National Council for Hotel Management & Catering Technology in collaboration with Indira Gandhi National Open University offers a 3-Year Bachelor of Science programme in Hospitality and Hotel Administration.
- Eligibility The candidate should have passed 10+2 with English as one of the subjects.
- Test pattern
Subject Number of questions Duration Numerical Ability and Scientific Aptitude 30 3.00 (hrs) Reasoning and Logical Deduction 30 General Knowledge & Current Affairs 30 English Language 80 Aptitude for Service Sector 30
- Important dates (indicative)
Date for applying- 1st week of December
Date of examination- Last week of April
- EligibilityThe candidate should have passed 10+2.
- Test patternThere is no entrance test for this programme. However, the candidates go through two rounds of selection activities:
- Round 1: Candidates then introduce themselves to a group of 15-20 participants in the presence of an evaluator. Here, the evaluator is checking the candidates grooming, poise and the ability to converse.
- Round 2:Short-listed candidates from the first round are invited to a personal interview with a panel comprising of OCLD faculty.
- Important dates (indicative)
Date for applying- The recruitment process for the OCLD post graduate programmes is scheduled between October to December each year.