Error Correction: Omission
Omission is a process in which certain words, in a given paragraph, are omitted. Such omissions make the sentence/s grammatically incorrect. In questions on omission, a student is supposed to examine each line and find the missing word/link between two words (if any). These questions test a student’s understanding and ability to use the language correctly.
GRAMMAR CONCEPTS REQUIRED
Before answering such questions, a student should be thorough with certain rules and concepts in grammar. Some of the important ones are indicated below:
1. A verb should agree with its subject in terms of number and person.
2. Tense consistency has to be maintained.
3. A pronoun must be consistent with its antecedent.
4. Conjunctions should be used correctly.
5. The rules for using articles have to be followed.
6. Prepositions should be used in a suitable manner.
7. Voice (active or passive) consistency must be maintained.
8. Determiners should be used appropriately.
9. The flow of sentences in terms of narration (direct/indirect speech) should be followed.
To view the complete topic, please