An Indian American Woman In Space
Answer the following questions.
1. Where was Kalpana Chawla born? Why is she called an Indian-American? (3)
2. When and why did she go to the U.S.? Who did she marry? (2, 3)
3. How did she become an astronaut? What gave her the idea that she could be an
4. What abilities must an astronaut have, according to the journalist? (6)
5. Describe Kalpana Chawla’s first mission in space. (5)
6. What does Kalpana Chawla say about pursuing a dream? Do you agree with her
that success is possible? (7)
1. Kalpana Chawla was born in Karnal, Haryana. She was called an Indian-American because she was a naturalised U.S. citizen, married to flight instructor Jean-Pierre Harrison.
2. She went to the United States for a master’s degree. She was married to flight instructor Jean-Pierre Harrison.
3. After qualifying as a pilot, Kalpana began to consider another challenge: applying to NASA’s space shuttle program. She was first hired as a research scientist at NASA. I…
To view the solution to this question please