Magnetism And Matter
It consists of a magnetic dipole.
The two poles of a magnet point to the North and South Poles of the Earth when the magnet is suspended freely.
Properties of magnetic poles:
- Like poles repel each other and unlike poles attract each other.
- They can never be separated.
- Magnetic length is the distance between the two poles of a magnet.
- Magnetic dipole moment is the product of either pole strength and magnetic length of a magnet.
- Magnetic dipole moment is a vector quantity. Its SI unit is joule/tesla or ampere-metre2.
- A current-carrying coil behaves like a magnetic dipole whose one face represents the North Pole and the other face represents the South Pole.
- The magnetic moment of a current-carrying coil is given by M…
To view the complete topic, please