Coal and Petroleum
- It is hard and black in colour.
Story of Coal:
- Due to natural processes, the dense forests got buried under the soil.
- Under high temperature and high pressure, dead plants got slowly converted to coal.
- The slow process of conversion of dead vegetation into coal is called carbonisation.
There are different kinds of coals:
Peat: It has a carbon content of 28%.
Lignite: It has 28-30% content of carbon.
Bituminous coal: It comprises of 78-86% carbon.
Anthracite: This is the matured form of coal. It has 94-98 % of carbon.
- It is used as fuel to cook food. Earlier, it was used in railway engines to produce steam.
- It is used in thermal power stations to generate electricity.
- Coke, coal tar, and coal gas are the products of coal.
- It is a tough, porous and black substance.
- It is the pure form of carbon and is used in the extraction of steel and many other metal…
To view the complete topic, please