Oliver Goldsmith’s ‘The Village School Master’ is a nostalgic
tribute to the poet’s former school teacher. Write a short
appreciation on how the poet combines elements of fear,
respect, admiration and humour in honouring the memory of his
(Word limit – 100-150 words)
Such questions are made for enhancing the self creative skills and should be tried answering on your own. However, here are a few points that will help you in framing your answer:
- It is true that the poem is a nostalgic tribute to the teacher.
- The poet describes his stern look and how severe he was.
- He was also a funny person and cracked many jokes.
- The poet remembers that even though he was strict, he was a kind person.
- He was also a knowledgeable person.
- Thus, the poet has mixed memories about the teacher.