Agriculture: A Way of Life
The following activities can lead to an improvement in crop production:
- Crop variety improvement
- Crop production improvement
- Crop protection management
Crop variety improvement methods
- Hybridization- It is a method by which two characteristics present in different organisms can be brought together into one organism
- Changing maturity time- By growing a plant that grows and yields faster, the crop cycle is reduced to increase profit
- Other agronomical factors- short plants are beneficial in cereals so that nutrition is not consumed by plants to grow taller.
Factors affecting the yield and quality of crops
- Soil quality
- Weeds and Pests
Traits to be improved in a crop-
- High yield
- Biotic and abiotic stress resistance like drought, floods, weeds and pests
- Wider adaptability
- Desired agronomic characteristics
- High nutritional value
Artificial Methods of Vegetative Propagation
Cutting – The artificial methods of vegetative propagation are
Stem cutting – Short lengths of the plant to be propagated are cut and planted in soil and they develop adventitious roots, leaves grow into individual plants.
Eg. – Rose, Coleus and Begonia are propagated by this method.
Root Cutting – In some plants, cutting of root are placed in soil and they develop into individual plants.
Eg. – Lime, Tamarind.
Layering – …
To view the complete topic, please