Biotechnology : Process and Application
Biotechnology is the field of molecular biology dealing with the techniques of using live microorganisms to produce products that are useful to humankind.
- It is a technique used by scientists for manipulating genetic material of living organisms.
- It involves artificial synthesis, isolation, modification and transfer of genetic material into a host organism to alter its phenotype.
- DNA cloning/Gene cloning: It is the method of making multiple identical copies of a single gene.
- Plasmid: It is a small, circular, extra-chromosomal genetic material that is capable of self replication.
- Characteristics of plasmid –
- Has an origin of replication
- Has a selectable marker
- One or few cloning sites
- It is a set of t…
To view the complete topic, please