Gap Filling/Sentence Completion
Gap filling or sentence completion questions require a student to fill in the gaps in a given paragraph with the most appropriate option. These questions test a student’s understanding and ability to use the language correctly.
GRAMMAR CONCEPTS REQUIRED
Before answering such questions, a student should be thorough with certain rules and concepts in grammar. Some of the important ones are indicated below:
1. A verb should agree with its subject in terms of number and person.
2. Tense consistency has to be maintained.
3. A pronoun must be consistent with its antecedent.
4. Conjunctions should be used correctly.
5. The rules for using articles and determiners have to be followed.
6. Prepositions should be used in a suitable manner.
7. Voice (active or passive) consistency must be maintained.
8. Direct and indirect speech must be considered.
STEPS TO BE FOLLOWED
To answer questions based on gap filling, a student m…
To view the complete topic, please