Discuss the transport of gases (O2 and co2 ) in blood

Discuss the transport of gases (O2 and co2 ) in blood ype (I) : Very Short Answer Type Questions : Write the name of main respiratory organ in human beings. Name two animals which carry on annaerobic respiration. Name the cavities which are separated by palate. Give the name of the partition between thorax and abdomen. ype (II) : Short Answer Type Questions : How does haemoglobin help in the transport Of oxygen from to tissues? 5. What is the vital capacity of lungs ? What is the role of carbonic anhydrase in humans ? Where is it present Type (Ill) : Long Answer Type Questions: Write the role of diaphragm in the breathing process. What is partial pressure ? How does it help in gaseous exhanges during respiration ? What is chloride shift ? Write its significance during respiration. o. tot Mark Each) [02 Marks Each) (03 Mark Each) Explain the terms: tidal volume. vital capcity and residual volume in relationship to respiration. ype (IV) : Very Long Answer Type Questions: tos Mark Each) 2. How does the exchange of gases occur in respiration between blood and alveolar air. Discuss the transport of gases (02 and C02) in the blood. 4. Describe how the contraction and relaxation of some skeletal muscles produce respiratory movements. 5. Write in detail about various respiratory disorders. o on V9Pro VIVO duål

Dear Student,
The medium of transport for O2 and CO2 is blood.
About 97percent of  O2 is transported by RBCs in the blood and the remaining 3 percent is carried in a dissolved state through the plasma. 

Hemoglobin is a red colored iron-containing pigment present in the RBCs. O2 can bind with hemoglobin in a reversible manner to form oxyhemoglobin. Each hemoglobin molecule can carry a maximum of 4 molecules of O2
The partial pressure of O2 and Co2 , hydrogen ion concentration and temperature are the factors which interfere with this binding.

In the alveoli, where there is high pO2 , low pCO2 , Lesser H+ concentration, and low temperature, the factors are all favourable for the formation of oxyhemoglobin. Whereas in the tissues where there is low pO2 , high pCO2 , high H+ concentration, and higher temperature exists, the conditions are favorable for dissociation of oxygen from the oxyhemoglobin. This clearly indicates that O2 gets bound at the surface and gets dissociated at the tissues.

Nearly 20-25 percent of CO2 is transported by hemoglobin as carbamino-hemoglobin. Nearly 70 percent of CO2   is carried as bicarbonate with the help of enzyme carbonic anhydrase. About 7 percent of CO2 is carried in a dissolved state through plasma .
In the tissues where pCO 2 is high, it gets bounds to the blood whereas, in the alveoli where pCO 2 is low and pO 2 is high, it gets removed from the blood.



  • 0
Answer of questions 14
  • 0
What are you looking for?