list three problems which arise due to construction of big dams. suggest a solution for these problems.
There are certain disadvantages associated with the construction of dams across rivers.
Environmental problems: The construction of dams across rivers leads to deforestation, which results in the
loss of biodiversity. This creates a disturbance in the natural ecosystem.
Solution: To compensate the deforestation, we should plant more trees.
Social problems: The construction of dams involves the building of large reservoirs. In some cases, constructing a reservoir may result in the flooding of nearby towns and villages. A large number of people are displaced as a direct consequence of the construction of reservoirs. In such cases, the government rehabilitates the people of these areas, which in itself is a huge task.
Solution: Government should provide proper compensation to the affected people.
Economic problems: The construction of dams requires huge amounts of monetary investments.
A dam becomes profitable if it is used to start generating electricity.
There are a number of disadvantages to existing dams:
- dams detract from natural settings, ruin nature's work
- dams have inundated the spawning grounds of fish
- dams have inhibited the seasonal migration of fish
- dams have endangered some species of fish
- dams may have inundated the potential for archaeological findings
- reservoirs can foster diseases if not properly maintained
- reservoir water can evaporate significantly
- some researchers believe that reservoirs can cause earthquake
the solutions to thses problems are :
small check dams should be built .. substitutes shouls be think of