significance of genetic engineering
Significance of genetic engineering are;
· Disease could be prevented by detecting people/plants/animals that are genetically prone to certain hereditary diseases,
· Infectious diseases can be treated by implanting genes that code for antiviral proteins specific to each antigen.
Genes could also be manipulated in trees for example, to absorb more CO2 and reduce the threat of global warming.
· Genetic Engineering could increase genetic diversity, and produce more variant alleles which could also be crossed over and implanted into other species.
· Disease resistant plants can be produced.
· Crops with high yield can be generated.
· Genetic engineering has produced very useful genetically modified breeds which can tolerate factory farming without any suffering.
· Genetic engineering when used on microorganisms help in the creation of new pharmaceuticals