What are the different kinds of adverbs?
There are various types of adverbs. Few of them are explained here:
Relative adverbs introduce a relative clause.
Read the given sentence:
This is the house where he was born.
In this sentence, ' where ' becomes the relative adverb, which refers back to its antecedent ' house '.
Interrogative adverbs are those adverbs which are used to ask questions.
- Where is Shikhar? [Interrogative adverb of place]
- How high is the mountain? [Interrogative adverb of degree]
- Why did you lie? [Interrogative adverb of reason]
- When will you reach? [Interrogative adverb of time]
- How did you manage to run? [Interrogative adverb of manner]
- How many apples do you have? [Interrogative adverb of number]
Adverb of time is used to show 'when' while adverb of frequency is used to show 'how often.'
Instances explaining the usage of the same are:
Adverb of time:
I have heard this before
I have invited him already.
Adverb of frequency:
I have warned you twice
He seldom talks to me.
Adverb of manner is used to show how something happens.
Instances of the same are:
- She spoke softly
- He ate greedily