WHAT IS EXACTLY PREPOSITIONS
Here is a definition of preposition: It is a word, one of the parts of speech, that shows the relationship between a noun or pronoun and other words in a sentence.
- The cat is in a basket;
- I don’t want to go to school today;
- He leaned against the wall;
- My mother reached before me, etc.
There are various types of prepositions categorized under various sub-headings.
1) Simple prepositions:They are simply the prepositions involving only one word. This is the list of simple prepositions.
2) Compound prepositions: These prepositions contain more than one word. Here is the list of most commonly used compound prepositions.
In between, Because of, In front of, On behalf of, In the middle of, According to, By means of, In addition to, In ‚back of, In case of, In front of, In place of, In spite of, Instead of, On top of etc.
Prepositions are also categorized on various other basis.
- Place, which can be explained under examples such as: on the roof, over the place, round the world, within the area, went towards Delhi, etc.
- Time, which can be explained under examples such as: came before me, into the daylight, lasted through an entire episode, under the rule of the British, etc.
- Manner, as in worked with eagerness, spoke with courage, etc.
- Cause, reason, purpose, as died of fever, shivers with fever, took syrup for cold, etc.
- Possession as the temple of, the girl with glasses, etc.
- Measure, standard, rate, value, as it was one by the door, interest at 9 %, etc.
- Contrast, concession, as I accept him with all his faults, after all the attempts, one might fail, etc.
- Inference, motive, source, or origin, as He was brave from valour, he did it out of gratitude, etc.
Hope it helps!