What is sleep apnea? Why is it caused? Is it a disease? If it is a disease, what are its symptoms? What is its cure?
Its not a disease but its a disorder.
1) Pauses during breathe, difficult breathing.
3) Disturbed sleep pattern
1) Some medicines are available.
2) Some devices are used for assisted breathing.
3) Surgical methods.
4)Oral appliances are also used to help in opening up the airways.
Sleep apnea is a common disorder in which you have one or more pauses in breathing or shallow breaths while you sleep.
- Your throat muscles and tongue relax more than normal.
- Your tongue and tonsils (tissue masses in the back of your mouth) are large compared with the opening into your windpipe.
- You're overweight. The extra soft fat tissue can thicken the wall of the windpipe. This narrows the inside of the windpipe, which makes it harder to keep open.
- The shape of your head and neck (bony structure) may cause a smaller airway size in the mouth and throat area.
- The aging process limits your brain signals' ability to keep your throat muscles stiff during sleep. Thus, your airway is more likely to narrow or collapse.
Common sleep apnea symptoms include:
- Waking up with a very sore or dry throat
- Loud snoring
- Occasionally waking up with a choking or gasping sensation
- Sleepiness or lack of energy during the day
- Sleepiness while driving
- Morning headaches
- Restless sleep
- Forgetfulness, mood changes.