why does Rajasthan receives scanty rainfall?
1) This is because the Aravali Range in Rajasthan lie parallel to the Arabian Sea branch of South West Monsoons, and do not offer any obstruction to the rain bearing winds.
2) The second reason is that the hot climate of Rajasthan increases the moisture holding capacity of the rain bearing winds, and does not allow it to shed its moisture in Rajasthan.
- Western Rajasthan and part of Gujarat are desert type regions with extreme climate. Intense thermal heating makes the desert land very dry.
- The Arabian sea branch runs parallel to Aravallies, providing no barriers to the clouds, leaving it again a dry region.
- The Bay of bengal branch is unable to reach up to western part and in winters even western disturbances also hardly give any rains to this region.
- The leeward side of the Western Ghats also lies in the western part of S.W monsoon.
Hope this helps you.Good Luck