Error Correction: Editing
Editing is a process through which a given paragraph is scanned for grammatical errors, and correction is made accordingly. These questions test a student’s understanding and ability to use the language correctly.
GRAMMAR CONCEPTS REQUIRED
Before answering such questions, a student should be thorough with certain rules and concepts in grammar. Some of the important ones are indicated below:
1. A verb should agree with its subject in terms of number and person.
2. Tense consistency has to be maintained.
3. A pronoun must be consistent with its antecedent.
4. Conjunctions should be used correctly.
5. The rules for using articles have to be followed.
6. Prepositions should be used in a suitable manner.
7. Voice (active or passive) consistency must be maintained.
8. Determiners should be used appropriately.
9. The flow of sentences in terms of narration (direct/indirect speech) should be followed.
STEPS TO BE FOLLOWED
To answer questions based on editing, a student may follow the steps given below:
1. Read the entire paragraph in one go. Find the context or the main idea of the given paragraph or sentences.
2. Analyse t…
To view the complete topic, please